To be legally married in Australia, you have to:
- Lodge the Notice of Intended Marriage (NOIM) with the Celebrant, no less than one calendar month and no earlier than 18 months. I can help you fill up the NOIM upon meeting with me. Download NOIM.
- For proof of identification a Birth Certificate and a photo ID (driving license) are preferred, otherwise a Passport will be acceptable.
- A person will be required to produce an original Decree Absolute (Divorce paper) if he/she has been married before. Death Certificate is required when applicable.
- Prior to the marriage ceremony, you are required to sign Statutory of Declaration, stating that there is no legal impediment to the marriage. A false declaration will result in 4 years of imprisonment.
- You are required to provide two persons as witnesses who are, or appear to be over the age of 18 years during the marriage ceremony.
- If one of the party is between 16 to under 18 years old, a parent consent and approval of a court of law are required.
You don’t have to be Australian resident or citizen to register your wedding in Australia. If you are currently reside outside Australia and wish to marry in Sydney, contact me to find out more.
For further questions and information, please contact me today.